Dr. Girard & Schild, the organization that later would become Eterna, was established in 1856 in Grenchen, Switzerland. The factory was specialised in watch movements. However, in 1876, when the company experienced some internal changes and the name was changed to Schild Fréres & Co., they introduced their first fully assembled watch. In 1906, after a new name and logo had appeared on several dials, the name was finally changed to Eterna. The brand stood for transformation and patented several innovations and achievements, such as the first series-production wrist watch with alarm, the smallest production wristwatch and the Eterna-matic movement (the ball-bearing mounted rotor, which Eterna derived its logo from). In 1932, the organization separated into ETA SA (movements) and Eterna (watches). Nowadays, Eterna contributes to the watch industry by always delivering high-quality, advanced and reliable mechanical movements.